Monday, January 16, 2012

Position Yourself and Attack the Hurdles, Part 2

Here is Part 2 of the Position Yourself and Attack the Hurdles Post.  Please read Part 1 beforehand

5) Drive your knee through the hurdle. My coach used to say ATTACK the hurdle. Your knee is a key joint in this because depending on subtle placement of the knee you can really throw off your forward movement. The hips are important as well, but when you are in flight, the knee is what controls the lower leg, which should be whipping over that hurdle as fast as possible. I think of driving my energy through the hurdles. What is my passion? Why is it important that I get through this?  There must be some inner motives that will fuel you to do this part -- when you are young, sometimes its enough to hear your coach or mentor say this, but when you get older and have other hurdles to clear, you need to find and re-visit your own reasons.  "And David encouraged himself in the Lord".. I always think of that scripture, along with Joshua's "Be strong and of great courage".



6) Control your arms. This reminds me of my multitasking mode that many people applaud, but I am starting to see it as a hindrance. Sometimes doing too many things drains you of the energy you need to do the most important and impactful work. For example, it is difficult for me to do my homework when I have been doing creative activities with my son (childcare is expensive people!), running errands, prepping breakfast, lunch, dinner, and trying to make sure he tries to potty every 30 minutes (as we are in training!), wash the rest of the laundry i didnt finish last nite, and answer emails and phone calls when my son has his naptime. Where is the time for exercise, spouse interaction, meditation, um, sleep? And after all this, someone tells me, "Oh I know you have time to do X on Mondays, because you are home all day".... This means saying NO to something and yes, saying "hubby/ dear/ baby/ I need to do X because it is important to me and I want to be ______insert goal here".. Now Pray for me, because I have told my hubby that and he still thinks I have time and it is mismanaged.  Control your arms. You are not an octopus and the slaves have been freed. Please for the sake of your health and your spirit, reduce some of the activities or items on your "to-do" list and work with what is most important to you for that day.  This is what I do when I am overwhelmed. I write on an index card -


" If I get these FIVE things done today, I would be HAPPY". And these things need to be important and impactful.  I use five because usually I am working with one hand. The other hand is wiping, driving, or doing something else, lol.



7) Complete the rotation of your back (trail)leg. Work to finish what you start. Tie up as many loose ends as you can -- the important ones. Follow-up and Follow-through! This is my 2012 Mantra. I have  been guilty of having so many irons in the fire that I drop them all (metaphorically and literally) and I hurt myself in the process. I lose my faith, I lose my drive, and I feel inadequate about what I have left in my hand. If you have multiple gifts and talents, as I am sure you do,  try to balance strengthening them in a way that gives you space to a) do your day job b) give you a creative outlet and c) add some peace and joy to your life -- you know I am all about feeding the joy!



Here is one of my favorite hurdlers - Dayron Robles, warming up. When you are a pro at clearing your hurdles, you have the training and technique down, you are in shape, you have mentally prepared to win, you can actually relax and enjoy the process/journey.. and confound/confuse your enemies! What used to have you up at night and break you out in hives is now a do-able feat, one that you have practiced and seen from all angles.  You can now sing through it and smile when its done.

 Here's a recap of the tips:


Stand tall.
Put that foot forward.
Stay on your toes.


Chin down.
Attack it!
Complete the rotation.
Focus on the finish.


Repeat and you may stun yourself, and others around you -- hey, the world even.


Live joyfully,
Lina

No comments:

Post a Comment